8.27.2004

I'm gonna rock you like a...

I'm gonna rock you like a...
Last night at the spur-of-the-moment-let's-go-to-the-Dave-Matthews-concert, my dear friend Sarah and I were standing on the back patio, relieving her tired, pregnant body of the blanket of smoke covering us at our seats. We listened and watched the people around try in vain to bob to the jagged rhythm. Sarah, laughing, asked, "what is this, 5/8?" Close, it was 7/8. We then decided that 7/8 meter makes for pretty bad sex music.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say that a moderately paced (andante!) 6/8 is the best sex meter. 123456. You can count out every eighth note for rousing movement, or, kind of like how music directors sometimes chose to conduct 6/8 in 2, cutting the pace in half for a slower, sweeter romp. 1--2--. Conductors do this if the pace is too fast to conduct every eighth note, or if the feel of the piece just calls for a cut-time lilt.

Radiohead's Nice Dream is in 6/8, and while it's a little too fast to "conduct" (bwah) all the eighth notes all the time, there are definitely moments. (Also, that's one of my favorite posts linked there.)

And then there are times when sexing to a particular music meter seems contrived, or maybe one party is TOTALLY NOT CAPABLE OF IT, so then you're just going to have to settle for Hooverphonic's entire amazing album "A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular." Spectacular indeed. It has the whole gamut of meters that are still ridiculously sensual even if ignored.

Update: The comment box is now the Favorite Sex Soundtrack box.

No comments: