9.18.2006

Just let me lie down a minute.

Just let me lie down a minute.

I'm still pregnant. Very much so. In fact, we were able to see the little tiny thing waving its little tiny limbs at us on Thursday. But more importantly, I'm not at work and I'm eating a giant bowl of mashed potatoes. Only mashed potatoes.

At least I was able to make them myself. Poor Erik has been taking care of all of us, non-stop, because I usually can't even open the fridge door without puking. But the good news is that I've managed to not lose much weight (only 1 lb), although coupled with the fact that I have ceased almost all athletic activity, I have probably just lost my years-of-hard-work muscle tone and like they always tell the non-skinny active people, hey, muscle weighs more than fat, you know. So it looks like the barfing and the low-impact lying down aerobics I've been doing are cancelling each other out. And I should probably eat more mashed potatoes.

So, onto this lying down thing. It's pretty much the only thing I want to do. Early on in the first trimester, it helped relieve the vicious round ligament pain as the uterus prepped itself to stretch. But I gradually realized how good it felt, and how it seriously lessened the nausea. I now require frequent lie-downs throughout the day. Before and after eating. Before and after barfing. Before and after sleeping. And so on.

I can't describe the feeling of seeing the little walnut with its beating heart and, eventually, it's flailing little arms and wiggling feet. Apparently, the legs are each 5 mm long right now. Swoon! So tiny. Also, when we were looking at the ultrasound, I was lying down. So that was good.

I'm 11 weeks along and well into the first phase of nesting. I'm going to call this phase the, "shit, how can we possibly bring a child into this mess?" nesting phase. I always thought that new parents must have an physiological switch that sends them into constant and automatic organization and cleanliness, and I still believe it. I just organized my closet, for crying out loud, a task that has never been done before in my life.

Alright, it's lie down time now.

No comments: