11.25.2007

Making up for the black friday boycott.

Making up for the black Friday boycott.

As usual, we didn't buy anything on Friday, except for our soy lattes, which probably makes me more of a yuppy asshole than anyone else, but still. But today we made up for it in a matter of a few hours. And we haven't even started working on our Christmas list yet. Actually, I think we might try to go all homemade this Christmas, but will still need to buy canisters or fabric or supplies.

First, we hit Ikea for a naptime stroll after church and lunch with the Tuttles. The nap idea was thwarted as we approached the kids' area and someone let out a blood curdling tantrum. To quote Erik: "stupid kids." Anyway, I managed to pick up some things I've been needing for a while. We got Ollie a little wooden bowl to eat from, and some glass spice jars with screw on lids that we'll use to freeze and store our baby food. We got a glass container with a lid to use for our grown-up leftovers. It was $5.99 though, so I think we might try to look around for cheaper ones to stock up.

We also got two giant canisters. We currently have a cannister deficit in this house, and most of our bulk stuff lives in the paper bags from the co-op, which probably isn't ideal for their shelf life. Also, I make a double batch of granola every few weeks, and it never fits in one of the large canisters we have, so I had to upgrade to the giant.

But the best purchase today was the Simple Shoes Green Piggie "weebit" soft-soled shoes for Ollie.



These are kind of like those Robeez shoes everyone has, but with less cow. There are other vegan ones out there made of things like PVC, which is kind of less-than-ideal. Also, they're like $40. But! The Green Piggie ones are made of hemp, organic cotton, and recycled/reclaimed bicycle tires for the grippy bits on the bottom. Hemp! Organic cotton! Hot damn! And they were $24 at Whole Foods. Unfortunately for normal vegans, my hunt for a picture online revealed that the little felt pig bit is wool. We use wool around here, because I prefer using that for baby waterproofing instead of plastics. I'm pretty sure I've beaten that horse around here. However, I like to use organic wool, and I doubt that little pig is organic. I'm not going to return them though, because I like them too much. That's how I roll. They're way too cute and their eco-quotient outweighs the slight non-organic wool guilt I feel.

Oliver looks ridiculously adorable in his little shoes. I can't handle the cuteness. He's a little man!

And here endeth the shopping confession. Someone just woke up.

No comments: