5.24.2008

Things to do.

Things to do.

I used to be a compulsive list-er. I made to-do lists to pass time and sometimes I would even start my lists with "1. Make to-do list" just so I could have a momentous taste of achievement by crossing that one off and it's kind of like how some writers say that you should start writing a new song/book/whatever by writing down something you already know or have memorized first until your pen and thoughts take off somewhere else.

Since I became a mother I've felt like the number of big picture wish list items or even simple tasks has increased tenfold. However, I hardly ever make lists anymore. In that spirit, I'm going to force myself to make some right now. My favorite lists always involve big ideas next to day to day things like "rice milk" or "call Shawna*."

So whenever the mood strikes me I'm just going to unload a handful of items. Maybe 25 at a time like everyone else on the internet? You all know I don't have that kind of self-discipline, so let's all be happy with what we get. I think I'll start with 10.

Things to do before I die or run out of rice milk:
1. Actually, we're totally out of rice milk.
2. Hike the Coast-to-Coast trail across northern England.
3. Find my green card.
4. Get a scoop of compost worms from Diane.
5. Hang house numbers above the front door.
6. Hang caterpillar hook in Ollie's room.
7. Home-birth a baby.
8. Buy 2 more big floor pillows for living room.
9. Archive 3886 never-to-be-read unread messages in gmail.
10. Listen well.

Oh, sweet list of neatly numbered items, it is so hard to stop at just 10 but I must. I missed you so.

__
* - I am kind of cheating here because I really do need to call Shawna, and I didn't even use up one of my 10 items to remind myself! O, thy sneaky fox. But look how honest I was with the rice milk.

No comments: