5.28.2011

Oak Canyon Trail

Today we took a long (time-wise) hike in Mission Trails. It was absolutely lovely out today. Tiny pink, purple, yellow flowers in bloom, coyotes howled, and a baby rattlesnake crossed our path.

Oak Canyon is one of my favorite parts of MTRP, shady and quiet and just this side of technical. Whenever I make it out there, I'm reminded of the time when I knew the entire park like the back of my hand, and I'm not even exaggerating. I truly miss those days. Today I had to look up a trail map on my phone, scandal!

I'm pretty sure my kids will be in high school before I can take them from the visitor center up to the smoke stacks, down to the valley, up the steps (and more steps, and then some more) to south fortuna, down to the saddle, up to north fortuna, down to oak canyon, past where I saw my mythical shirtless dreamy mandolin player, through the grasslands, and back along the junipero serra trail to the visitor center again. Sigh.

Until then, a spot of oak canyon here and there will have to suffice. Unless you want to babysit? Unless you want to come with me instead of my kids? Unless you play mandolin with you shirt off? Lmk.


2 comments:

jax said...

I say hubbies watch offspring, we hike!!!

lola coca-cola said...

I'm in any time, just let me know time and date! I've always wanted to explore MTRP with someone who knows it.