9.07.2004

Sadness, Failure.

Sadness, Failure
I really hesitate to talk about this, because I'm ashamed and I'm afraid of hearing that I'm doing the wrong thing. This weekend, we decided that our home is far from the best home for sweet Franklin the cat. We've taken a few steps to find a new happy home for him, and we're probably not going to take him back to the shelter. Who knows if someone would pick him?

Looking back, I think we realized that it wasn't a good match from day 1. We've been mulling over this for over a month now.

I always hear about people giving puppies and kittens back to the shelter and it had always irritated me, like maybe the owners jumped into the decision irrationally. They should have thought about this beforehand! They should have considered all the consequences first!

As much as I tell myself that yeah, we did think about all this beforehand, and yeah, we considered the consequences first, I still join their ranks. I'm one of those people. I teared up at lunch today when a coworker told me that he's also a failure because he threw away his compost heap.

A glimmer of a silver lining is that if he were still in the shelter, he wouldn't have been treated for all of his little sicknesses - the parasites, the eye infection, the tapeworm, what have you. I do feel like we did make a positive difference in his life for just a short period.

But, for the long term, we failed.

No comments: