Out of Tune.
Last night, we picked up a piano. Late night piano moving? Awesome. It's a 1962 upright Wurlitzer. And they only wanted $100 for it. I didn't have the heart to argue with them, so I begrudgingly scored a piano for a tenth of what it's worth.
It's delightfully out of tune. It sort of has that wistful seaside carnival feel to the sound, like in some of my favorite Over The Rhine songs. Sure, we'll get it tuned eventually, but right now, I'm enjoying the vintageness of the 1962 original configuration tuning. Ha.
Seriously, tuning it will cost more than the piano itself and that's just wrong.
I'm currently learning Auld Lang Syne (Old! Long! Since!) for our New Year's Eve party. In England, we all used to hold hands with our arms crossed in front of us, and swing up and down as we sang it together. As a kid, it was one of those songs you could have sworn was written much differently. Wikipedia refers to it "the song that nobody knows." Our more hipstery party guests may clear out when the singalong starts, but meh. Their loss.
Merry Christmas and Blessed Be to you all. And here's a hand, my trusty friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment