10.30.2007

Little man.

Little Man.

I really need to post more often, so I don't have to deal with giant transitional posts after my long pauses. But you know me and giant transitions: it's all about the bulleted lists.

  • Ollie is 6.5 months now. I do say the point five out loud, FYI. I'm one of those mothers. Don't worry. I will stop with the month numbering at 1, I swear. I reserve the right to change my mind, also.
  • We finally started feeding him "solid" food last week. It's actually almost liquid. We gave him a little mashed up organic avocado from the guy at the North Park Farmer's Market who looks like a movie star. If Robert Redford owned an organic farm in one of his movies, he should model it after this guy. Anyway, the avocado was really good, and Oliver seemed to like his mashed up and diluted version. We then took a 4 day break from any solids for him, because we ate the rest of the avocado. Parents of the year, we are. We tried avocado again two nights ago.
  • Last night, I got all industrious and made some pears for him. By "made," I mean, peeled, chopped, simmered, and blended. We used the stick blender, because I didn't want to put the hot stuff in the only blender we have, which is plastic. I actually liked this method better, because the stick blender is so easy to wash, and the pears are then already in their glass storage container.
  • Ollie liked the pears tonight, for maybe 10 minutes, then was done. It was actually really nice to see him turn his head away, like he was now associating the feeding process with getting food, not just being allowed to suck on the spoon. Well, it was nice after I got past the tiny feeling of insult. I slaved over those pears! We'll try some more tomorrow, I think.
  • He's mobile. Not really crawling, but he lifts up on his knees or feet and scoots backwards. Then he flaps his legs and arms frantically, usually squealing or giggling. He doesn't stay in one place for more than a minute.
  • Homeboy has been cloth diapered exclusively his whole life. This makes mama so proud. Especially since we've had several trips where his diapers and diapering supplies have had their own suitcase. I need to write more about cloth diapering, because it's been an amazing experience. We are currently using all organic, all natural-fiber diapers. Only the best for my little man to poop in, is all I'm sayin'.
  • He is almost always happy. We are so blessed.

    Alright, enough with the bullets. Let's do a little prose interlude and then we'll have some pictures. Okay?

    I'm currently watching the NOVA program on marathon runners, and I think I've now been bit by the marathon bug again. I think I want to ask Tessa to train and run Rock and Roll with me next spring. Tessa has a baby about 6 weeks younger than Oliver. We ran the last marathon together. Well, we also ran with Tessa's husband Chris, but something tells me he won't ever do it again ever, ever. This way, we can run our long runs during the week and just strap the babies into the jogging strollers. I'm excited at the prospect of having the jogging stroller as my own little mobile aid station. Think of all the gels I can store in there! And it has cup holders! But then we need to have Oliver sit through hours of running in there. But how awesome will it be to have to sit on the side of the marathon to take a nursing break? Now that would be a picture to send in to Mothering. The same old "here's my baby wearing his dolly in a sling!" picture is a bit tired. Not that I'm not going to take that same picture when I get Ollie his own sling for his dolly.

    We've made some significant progress on the house lately. I really can't be arsed to describe it all in detail right now, but one day. We remodeled the back room. Erik put in some EcoTimber floor himself! Well, with the help of our friend. We also got the house painted, and finally dug up the dead grass. We now have a nice mixture of native plants and weeds. The weeds are impossible right now. And unless we cave and use herbicide, it's just going to be a long battle of pulling them over and over again until they finally give up.

    Alright, on with the pictures. Tonight, I'm all about the coherence. Clearly.

    playing piano with grandpa.




    hmmm, how can I get this seat buckle in my mouth? there must be a way.


    le sigh. he's so cute.


    he already knows his way around OSX.


    at Shakespeare's pub


    and that's enough.
  • No comments: