12.13.2007

700th Post, Wild Miles.

My 700th Post. And Wild Miles.

This is my 700th post, according to my blogger dashboard. Excellent. Let's all have a cupcake to celebrate.

In other news, I'm thinking about doing Wild Miles next April. It's a 180 mile adventure relay race. It's running, but I'm going to go out on a limb and call it an adventure race, because if you can't call running 13 miles off-road uphill in the middle of the desert at midnight an "adventure," then to hell with it.

Anyway, there are 30 legs, and you can have teams of 10. There's also an option to have a team of 5, and they have a special name for those teams, something along the lines of "insane," because 180 divided by 5 = a lot of miles per person. Sick.

Most of the legs are about 5 miles long, so any one person would generally do about 15 miles in the weekend, which is relatively easy when you space it out over 24 hours. I can't believe I just wrote that. And actually, I think there's a 30 hour option, too, which is good, because 180 miles in 24 hours divides up to be, at the slowest, an 8 minute mile. Repeatedly. 180 8 minute miles, one after the other. In the desert. Not so much. I'll proudly sign up for the 30 hour option.

Two years ago, I couldn't do it because it was the same weekend as the inaugural Hike For Discovery Grand Canyon hike, and last April I was, like, due or something*. (*=direct quote from Drop Dead Gorgeous, best movie in the world) (* = birthing: also an adventure sport). So next year, it's on!

Fabulous Coach Sharon has done Wild Miles quite a bit, and she said that by far the worst part isn't running in the desert all day and night (she always does the half marathon leg, too), but sitting in a van with your sweaty, sore, irritable teammates in between your runs.

So, who's in? Haha.

No comments: