Meals for the week.
Is there anything more egotistical than thinking any of you care about what we'll eat this week? Actually, there probably is, so I'll go ahead and tell you. I have recently begun cooking my own beans instead of using cans (boo BPA), so due to the (relatively minor) extra effort, I make giant batches. This week we're going to make garbanzo beans and black beans. We also have a giant butternut squash to use up, and pots full of cooked bulghur and green lentils in the fridge. Oh, and 18 lemons with the rind zested off to use in hummus. Not all 18, we should note. So, those factors are going to shape our menu for the week. I'm happy to say that most of the stuff didn't have packaging. This is a giant feat for me, because you know I have the Trader Joes lust, despite their ridiculous over packaging temptationness. I haven't stepped foot in that store in over a month. Oh mercy.
But here we go, brace yourselves for some quality blogging RIGHT HERE:
tonight
*soak garbanzo beans*
tuesday
-chickpea punjabi chhole (packaged - 89 cent sauce packet!)
-bulgur
-mujadara (lentils and rice)
*make hummus*
wednesday
-hummus (Veganomicon recipe) on top of poppyseed polenta (also Veganomicon), with zucchini and greens on top. Oooh, and we have avocados that are good and ripe now; those would be dreamy on top. Maybe more mujadara on the side.
*soak black beans*
thursday
-1/2 of a butternut squash, a sweet potato, greens and tofu, coated in maple syrup, coriander, salt, pepper, and garlic (slightly modified Veganomicon method of roasting winter squash) (I tried this the other day but misread "ginger" as "garlic," but am glad I did, so garlic it is). The best part of this is that it's all one pot. This makes up for having to saw apart the butternut squash. I'll set some aside for Ollie, too.
*cook black beans*
friday
-black bean & butternut squash chili from Vegan Planet, using the rest of the squash. we've made this before and it's fantastic.
-spinach.
sunday?
-black bean, sweet potato, and almond burgers from ExtraVeganZa.
-maybe I'll try my hand at making some rolls.
I probably spent like, $20 on this week's meals. That felt like an exaggeration at first, but it's probably not that far off. I heart bulks!
And here endeth the ridiculous post. Be warned, I might do this weekly. Ha, ha.
No comments:
Post a Comment