Maggie
I was fine until they played a recording of Margaret Thatcher speaking about Reagan.
Margaret Thatcher was probably the first role model I ever had, and I firmly believe that any ounce of feminism in me was empowered by her, but also partially dismissed by her: she was always prime minister. The concept of whether or not a woman should have that role was nonexistant. Inequality was an afterthought.
I spent all of Reagan's presidency as a child in Thatcher's England, so the sound of her voice alone really strikes me. More than the National Cathedral choir singing "Jerusalem." More even than the images of sweet, elegant Nancy. More than the former rock drummer Dean of our Cathedral in San Diego, the current Bishop Chane. The whole presidential death thing had skimmed over me until the moment she spoke and finally brought it home. I had to fight back tears.
Politics aside, she was and is a remarkable woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment