This morning, as Erik got ready for work in the dark, I woke up and started trying to chat away with him. Here's pretty much how the conversation went:
julia: "I'm awake! You can turn on the lights and talk! Yay!"I think there's a special kind of person somewhere between a morning person and a non-morning person. Namely, me. I love mornings only when I spend them cozily and lazily tucked in a warm bed while the world moves around me. This is all well and good, except when I'm enjoying that luxury and rubbing it in someone else's rushing-to-get-ready-for-work-while-it's-still-dark wounds.
erik: [silence.]
julia: "I'm wide awake! I can keep you company!"
erik: [pause. I think he was spitting toothpaste out.] "I love you."
julia: "I love you."
julia: "Is that all? Do you have anything else for me?"
erik: [silence, glaring]
We're still recovering from the other night's crazyBadly Drawn Boy concert, that lasted until well after midnight and involved an increasingly-drunk Damon Gough alternating between calling certain audience members bitches and making up songs on the spot about how much he loved us. Oh, and a Yazz Flute! And in addition to that, I slipped back into insomnia mode while Erik was gone, lying sleepless in bed until well into the wee-hours every night. I seem to have no problems sleeping in the morning, just at night time when I'm supposed to. But now that Erik's back, and getting to work early in the mornings, the insomnia isn't improving. In fact, there's no net change in how much sleep I'm getting, but there's a definite increase in irritability and sheer disdain for people who can fall asleep when their heads hit the pillow but wake just enough to grumble that my itty bitty book light is "too bright" and the pages of my book are "too loud." If I stay in the other room, there's equal grumbling when I tiptoe into bed. So now I just sort of lie motionless and sleepless next to the hibernating husband.
I suppose this means I'm somewhere between a night-person and a non-night person, too.
Sleep, I hate/love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment