I algebra you.
John and I seem to have been fighting a lot recently. John is my coworker and one of my best friends ever, and is only marginally aware of how many stories internet strangers hear about him. The fights are ridiculously stupid stuff, of course, the kinds of things you're embarassed to even vent about because the battles are so worthless. And, since he's male, the fights are fast and over as soon as I decide to get over them and stop holding a grudge. But regardless, I think we've both been overwhelmed with our own lives lately, and because of that, haven't really had much time to spend together or hang out like we used to. Things have just felt strained and I miss my friend.
Friday afternoon, after a bickery lunch, I was rushing around, flustered and frustrated, to get out of work early. Erik was whisking me off to LA to the Rufus/Ben Folds show, and I promise I didn't google the entire social calendar in Los Angeles to figure out what my surprise was. Yeah, that's another story. I was running about an hour and a half late at this point, and on my way out, I walked by a machine that I'll be documenting first thing Monday morning. John flagged me down and started making fun of me in his usual harmless way, and finally, I just couldn't take it anymore. Being epitomically girlish, I whined at him to stop it and that I needed a hug instead. Of course, John isn't much of a public hugger and I certainly didn't expect this to change standing around machines and technicians.
However, he then hugged a nearby giant tank of liquid nitrogen (don't try this at home kids!) and recited an "(a+b)" distributive property or pythagorean something or other equation in his best BBC children's programming voice and hugged me via algebra. My heart, warmed by factorials.
Math is totally the new love.
No comments:
Post a Comment