Forever marked.
This weekend, our best friends' youngest daughter, Natalie, was baptised. It was such a beautiful weekend here, with your standard-issue San Diego weather: moderately warm, sunny, slightly breezy skies. It's why we all pay the mark-up to live here. Sarah and Scott met up with us for breakfast Saturday morning, for a so-so performance of the usually spectacular Ranchos Cucina. It was great to get a little time with them before the relatives and friends started pouring in, and also before big sister Grace's 15 hour sleepless marathon. We played a little at the new house and in Balboa Park, and then parted while we prepared for the reception we were hosting at our condo. I hadn't really planned anything. When we have parties, there are usually many lists involved. Shopping, to-do, timeline for day-of preparations, etc. This time I had absolutely no lists. SHUDDER THE THOUGHT.
It was a wonderful evening, despite being ill-prepared, party because someone brought a portable zoo kit for the kids to play with on the front porch, and there was plenty of beer and apple juice. But it was wonderful mostly because we were all there to support one little girl in her lifelong walk with Christ. God has had remarkable plans for sweet Natalie for a long time, and one day it will be her choice to embrace these plans and continue her journey of faith. But Sunday morning, we poured a little water on her and welcomed her unconditionally with arms wide open into the body of Christ.
After the priest poured the water on her, he handed her to me. Sweet confused wet baby. Then, there was a little annointing of oil. It's always my favorite part of baptisms, because the baby always seems completely captivated by the priest as he draws a tiny little oil cross on their forehead, saying, "something something something, you are marked as Christ's own forever." It's like they can feel it happening. As she snugged into the crook of my arm, I watched as she stared right at the priest. I felt like I totally lucked out. Like, who was I to get to hold her for this part? Even after watching the scene countless times, it was life-changing beyond words to stand there and hold her then.
I can only pray that Erik and I, her godparents, might have a fraction of the impact on Natalie that she and her family have already had on our relationships with God. But I look forward to trying, and I look forward to being there for Natalie along her walk with God. Well, she's not quite crawling yet, but she flails and wriggles around on the floor. I'll totally flail and wriggle with God too.
No comments:
Post a Comment