Yesterday, I passed the all-important "halfway" point in pregnancy: 20 weeks. 5 months! That's an awful long time. We're also more than halfway there, because of the convoluted counting system that nobody can agree on.
20 weeks + 1 day
Speaking of agreeing, Erik and I have currently stepped up our discussions (ha!) on naming now that we know(ish) that it's a boy. I love Oliver, he, well, doesn't. He also doesn't like anything else I suggest, but rarely offers up viable alternatives. And he also doesn't give me a good reason for not liking Oliver and other names like Jack. I told him to just tell me that an Oliver stole his high school sweetheart so that I would stop nagging him about it. Some viable alternatives are Henry and Graham, both of which were my contributions. Unfortunately, I like names that have sweet nicknames associated with them, unlike Graham. Like Olly. Le sigh! Olly! Or maybe it's spelled Ollie. The Y makes it seem less girly. He'd be so darling and creative and good at soccer. Maybe he'd be in a British indie band.
My main gripe with Henry is that it's all of a sudden the new John. Everyone is calling their kid Henry today. Although nobody is giving their Henries the nicknames Harry or Hank. They're missing out, I tell you.
My dad's name is William, and he went by Billy as a little blond-haired, scraggy English kid. We have documented proof in a little book about the history of our village. Billy! That's golden. However, Erik's cousin with the same last name called their firstborn William, so that's sort of taken. It's not like when your friends steal your favorite name, because this William would have the same last name. No need to confuse holiday gatherings with the relatives.
Or maybe we're just throwing these names out to absorb everyone's Well-Intentioned Feedback, and then we'll throw you all a curveball with something like Blaine or Logan when the baby's born. Although Logan is kind of a viable alternative, what with Wolverine being Erik's favorite X-men character and all.
Whatever we end up calling him, the baby is a squirmy little thing right now, which makes me really happy. And also, he is growing, which makes me even happier. All of a sudden, on Friday, my belly popped out and is now huge and always in the way. Grow little peanut, grow!
No comments:
Post a Comment