Best laid plans.
Today, I'm 18 weeks pregnant. For normal people not engulved in the world of pregnancy, or world-must-revolve-around-us-not-the-judeo-christian-calendar Intel "work weeks" or something, that's four and a half months. In two weeks, we'll be officially half-way there. I haven't really put our plans for birth into words yet, just sort of here and there descriptions and sending the link of the birth center to friends warning them to not look at the photo gallery when coworkers are walking by.
We've done all of our prenatal care at the birth center, the only place in southern California that does water births. It just happens to be a mile away and sweetly decorated. It's a free-standing birth center, not connected to any hospitals but still only a few blocks away from several big ones. It also doesn't have doctors (except for advisory obstetricians or something). The staff is entirely female, made up of certified nurse midwives, nurses, etc. So lovely they are. Each of the 3-4 birthing rooms have huge tubs, although one is much smaller than the rest so let's hope we don't get stuck with that one.
The plan is to labor outside of the birth center as long as possible, although $10 says this includes several trips and emergency calls to the midwife. Once we get to the birth center, we'll eventually get in a tub (well, that "we" will depend on a) how skeeved Erik is, and b) how comfortably we all fit in the tub) and finish laboring and birthing in the tub. The theory is twofold. First, laboring in the water should relax me and ease the pain and pressure. No drugs, no fetal monitors, etc. Second, the switch from womb to world, what with all the squeezing and gasping for air and flailing, can't be too peaceful for a little beeb. The water provides a little gentler of a transition. Right now, even at 18 weeks, the baby has lungs, it just doesn't use them until faced with air.
After birth, I honestly have no idea when they'll make us get out of the water, but the baby will come straight to mama's arms and cuddle for a while and try nursing. The baby won't leave our side. Like, ever. I guess they don't cut the cord until it stops pulsing, but BELIEVE ME, that is the last of anything new-age related that will involve the placenta. There will be no salting or frying up with a little garlic.
Anyway, these are nothing but hopes and plans. We'll know a little more after our next ultrasound, but if there are any complications, the birth center likely won't let us deliver there. My biggest worry is that if that were to be the case, I would struggle with feelings of disappointment or mourning for the birth I wanted. Really, regardless of how or where it happens, it doesn't matter. I can't wait. I can't wait to give birth, and I can't wait to have a child.
No comments:
Post a Comment