4.30.2004

I doth protest
Today, the KCRW traffic reporter said, "and there are some protesters that are, uh, protesting something."

I've been boycotting our local NPR station, KPBS, because not only are they on their THIRD FREAKING WEEK of a membership drive, but I noticed earlier this week that they were membership driving over special All Things Considered daily vignettes commemorating Nelson Mandela. And membership driving over Bob Edwards! He's leaving Morning Edition! And I didn't find out until today when Ted Koppel wished him all the best and hoped he'd enjoy not waking up at 4am! And also: THREE FREAKING WEEKS!

So some truck drivers decided to stop their trucks in the 405 traffic lanes this morning, bringing people's morning commutes to a grinding, protesty stop. Even if they were protesting to Give Five Million Dollars To Julia!, I'm don't think I could have got on board with them had I been trying to get to work on time in Los Angeles this morning.

Most protesters totally give protesting a bad name. I don't even mean the calibre of eco-terrorist type protesters. I just mean the lame people that perpetuate the commonly held view that protesters really have no idea. People do simplistic chants, scream, dance, etc., and otherwise weaken their rational, well-thought-out cause. I really know they mean well, but I can't help but put myself in the other side's shoes for a moment and realize that nobody is taking the protest seriously.

A wonderful friend of mine, rebecca, was telling me about her church's participation in the Women's March in Washington last weekend. I was so moved by her account of the UUA (Unitarian Universalist) leader's pep talk. He asked them, regarding women's reproductive rights, (paraphrase) "to march as people of faith, since we need stand up and to take this issue (and the word of God) back from the religious fundementalists." Faithful, passionate, thoughtful, and beautiful.

This I can get behind. I can put myself in the other side's shoes for a moment but not feel embarassed for the protesters. I can imagine them feeling provoked and perhaps a little threatened - a decent goal for a protest.

But using your truck to STOP TRAFFIC? In LA rush hour? Not exactly faithful, passionate, thoughtful, and beautiful, is it?

No comments: