Lather.
Last summer, while Erik was away working for the forestry service, I was standing in the shower, wasting precious non-renewable resources and planning out a blog post. It wasn't until I started stringing the sentence together in my head and picking the exact words I'd use, I suddenly realized that I am indeed stupid.
Let's start from the beginning. Erik and I, like most normal couples with coordinating sanitation routines, share a bar of soap. There are no major downsides to this symbiosis, outside of the very uncommon brown hair disgustingly left stuck to the soap. I have noticed though, since we usually have an open-door bathroom policy EXCEPT WHEN POOPING, that he lathers differently than I. He will hold the bar of soap in one hand and rub it over his body. I like to swivel the soap around in both hands for a little bit, and apply the lather to my body with my hands. It seems like it would conserve soap. You just get the soap a little wet, and rub it a little bit, versus standing under the stream of water and continuously rubbing the soap all over your body. Totally inefficient.
When Erik left for those 10 weeks, I realized that I was indeed going through soap far less quickly, and instantly attributed it to my superior lathering method.
So, back in the shower, I was thinking to myself, dude, I could totally blog about this. Let's see. I could write, "My hypothesis is proven! Muahahahaha! Erik's lathering method must be less efficient, because while he was gone, I used so much less soap. Almost half as much soap."
But then it hit me. If I'm going through half as much soap, it's only because there's half as many people showering. Oops. I suppose it doesn't reveal anything about our lathering methods. And then it hit me again. If I'm going through almost half as much soap, it can only mean one thing: my lathering method is far from superior. More soap-per-capita is consumed when it's just me.
Of course, I'm not about to change the way I lather.
p.s., Last bathroom-related post for a while, I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment