10.25.2008

My Platform, part one

My Platform, Part One.

It's no secret that I can't vote. It's also no secret that voting is probably THE most important right and responsibility afforded to a citizen. And despite that, I'm increasingly realizing, voting is probably not enough. We need to talk about the issues, talk about how we will vote, talk about the things we're not sure of, and, in my case, just talk.

On November 4th, my husband will take my First Generation American son to the polling station, and instead I will probably go to Melanie's house and do shots to fend off the nervousness. Here's how I would vote, on the major things. I also have some thoughts on the less covered, less exciting stuff, and will post that soon enough, too:



President of the United States: Barack Obama

In my relatively short lifetime, I have never been so inspired by a political leader as I am by Obama. I have never felt such a drive to truly change my country rather than complain about it. The mere thought of the direction of our country under his leadership gives me hope, and makes me feel at peace. I could go on and on.




No on Proposition 8.

In my mind, there is nothing redeeming about this ballot measure. There is nothing Christian about this ballot measure, so don't go there. Jesus would turn water into wine at a homosexual wedding, FYI. Despite what some of the supporters of Prop 8 say, it will not require that our 4th graders will study homosexuality in school. That is such fearmongering. 4th graders don't even study heterosexual marriage. And, to tell you the truth, I kind of wish my kids would be exposed to this level of equality in school. It's important to me that Ollie grow up in a world where he and his neighbors are free to be with the people they love, to spend the rest of their lives together, fully recognized and supported by the state.




District 3 City Council: Stephen Whitburn

This is a hot race right now, between Stephen Whitburn and Todd Gloria. We get at least two mailings each day. District 3 covers Hillcrest, University Heights, North Park, South Park, Golden Hill, City Heights, Kensington, Talmadge, and Normal Heights. Basically, my favorite parts of San Diego, and Stephen Whitburn lives in North Park, my (obvious) favorite part of District 3. Stephen Whitburn has nabbed critical endorsements from the Democratic Party and the Sierra Club. Whitburn and Gloria are both plenty liberal (and also, both are openly gay), but I have to side with Whitburn's stronger stance against excessive development and in favor of smart growth and infrastructer, and a stronger campaign focus on education. The Sierra Club endorsement also sealed the deal for me. Actually, Erik voted for Whitburn in the primary, and that's probably what really did make up my mind.



City Attorney: Mike Aguirre (incumbent)

Mike Aguirre is (and feel free to kill me for using this word) a total maverick. Our City Attorney since 2004, he is a hardworking, courageous badass and will not back down, will not pander to the city council or mayor's office, and will not rest until the people of San Diego are well represented. The amount of material this guy publishes is ridiculous. He is constantly working. Also, he runs the Rock and Roll Marathon every year in San Diego, every single one since it was established in 1998. Only having done it once, I have no idea how he manages to train for marathons year-round (something like 23 total marathons) without fully sacrificing his professional and personal life, but NO, he continues to be one of the more prolific public figures San Diego has ever known. Like I said, badass. He probably has to force himself to go running at the end of the day lest he light stuff on fire or explode. Mike Aguirre will be one of the new characters in next season's Heroes.

Aguirre's opponent, Jan Goldsmith, is supported by developers, Republicans, and the Union Tribune. Oh, also, the Log Cabin Club? His entire campaign platform is to just kind of snark on Mike Aguirre, so that's annoying. Like, every line is "I will do such and such, UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE."




No on Proposition 4.

Prop 4 changes the CA constitution, mandating parental consent (and a 48 hour waiting period) for minors receiving abortions. The limited allowances and exceptions in the ballot measure are insignificant. Having once been a 14 year old girl (paraphrase credit to Jeffrey Eugenides), I will tell you that Proposition 4 will undeniably increase the risks associated with abortion in teenage girls. Alone, Prop 4 will NOT decrease the amount of teenage abortions. It will send them to Mexico. It will result in them trying dangerous methods to attempt to end the pregnancy, and I'm not just talking about the stereotypical coat hanger. I'm also not just talking about young women who fear physical abuse from their parents. I'm not just talking about young women who were raped. I would also like to add that opposition for Prop 4 is not just about fear and safety, protecting teenager girls - it's about trusting them. It's about treating them as human beings.

I also want to add that I fear this proposition is being opposed not because of the rights, health, and safety of teenage girls, but because of opposition to abortion in general. Believe what you may about abortion, but I can't imagine a more at-risk group of individuals than teenage women to deny unbridled access to all their options. It would be so devastating, so dangerous, and ultimately, so ineffective in reducing abortions.




Yes on Proposition 2

I know you're probably writing me off here, the crazy vegan. Hear me out. I understand that the critics assume that, in particular, poultry farming will be pushed out of state due to a financial ability to meet the new requirements. I do pity the farmers and their families that will be required to adjust to safer, more humane, and more environmentally friendly and sustainable practices. However, I do not support inhumane and non-sustainable farming to the point that I do not consume the products of these methods. If we have to have that kind of farming in order to keep farmers employed, then something is wrong. Hopefully Prop 2 will fix this.

Apparently, it will cost farmers 1 cent per egg to switch from confined cages. But, correct me if I'm wrong here because I'm no economics whiz, but wouldn't the price to consumers decrease as more cage-free, humane eggs were available and on our California grocery shelves? Increased supply. right?

Jobs will not be lost, quite the contrary. Mexico will not suddenly develop an egg export surplus and become a primary supplier for California. It will NOT make our food less safe.

The consequences of crated, caged farming are not worth it.

And that's all for now. I know, I know, so much for my self-instituted ban on political blogging. I just couldn't help myself.

No comments: