10.13.2008

Notes from a High School Yearbook.

Notes from a High School Yearbook.

I'm starting a new series here. Behold. Last night, I had some old high school friends over, and, somehow, my senior yearbook (1996) made an appearance. Eventually, we started reading the messages that people had written me out loud. Let me tell you, those are some fine works of poetry. We started on my high school boyfriend's message to me, but that one is far too golden to start with. You'll have to wait until we adequately warm up.

There were several themes in my yearbook and most of the messages seem to fit into those. Four, that I can count.

1. Comments about me being sweet, the #1 all time high school yearbook adjective, primarily from girls. These ones usually don't reference Nick at all, probably because (in retrospect) those girls usually weren't fans. Or in a small handful of cases (two?), I'm pretty sure they were in love with him themselves.
2. Comments or snarks about Nick, or even just well wishes.
3. Fabricated references to lewd acts, primarily from boys. And then a comment about Nick.
4. References to band and cross country. And/or my parents' pool.

I'm going to withhold the last names to protect the innocent. Spelling and grammar errors, however, will be maintained in the true documentary spirit.

I'm going to start with a Category 1 post. This is from Jess, who was a junior when I was a senior, and in my math class. She was probably, randomly (i.e., not in band/track/nick's friends), one of my closest friends that year, and it all began with that famous crayon note, which I undoubtedly still have. She was completely rad (tm 1996).

To my wonderful twin, Julia-

I think you're great! This is not some cheesy, insincere message, this is totally 100% I love you message. I think you are the coolest and I am so glad that you think that of me as well. I can remember that first time in math when you looked sad and I wrote you a pretty crayon note asking me [sic] not to think I was strange and that began the legacy - there was the CIF locker, the x-mas locker, miscellaneous math notes, tent party, and then coco's. Oh, and swimming in your pool and running into you at Top of the Cove oh and our homecoming picture. I really like spending time with you - you're so sweet and nice and complementary [sic, maybe, unless she was being profound] and understanding. And besides, you're blond - who can go wrong w/ that. I am so glad you aren't really leaving because I look forward to tons of stuff in the future with you like bagels & milkshakes. Just in case you lose it (which you won't) [which I did]: 675-####.
I LOVE YOU!
-Jess

AWESOME. My favorite part, and this seems to happen a lot in yearbooks, was when she started to try to list the inside jokes, but then the sentence kind of fell flat or the things really weren't that unique. I have no idea what "and then coco's" means. Maybe we had bagels and milkshakes at a Coco's restaurant?

Oh, damn it, I almost can't stop. I had to literally close the book lest I just type them all up right now.

p.s., Stay sweet.

No comments: