5.13.2004

Day 3.
Things are going just fine, unless you count my attempts at Vegan Chocolatey Sweetness Independence last night.

In Whole Foods, I'm tempted by a very nicely decorated vegan chocolate raspberry cake. 6" diameter. $14.99. And I totally buy it. I get home with only 20 minutes to spare before I need to be back out the door. I have a ridiculous meal of Wheatabix and oat milk, chased with a tiny slice of cake. However, all does not go according to plan.

Trying to get the box open, I give myself not a paper cut, but a cardboard cut. Strike one. Maybe God Doesn't Want Julia To Be Vegan, Sign #1.

I cut myself a slice. MMM. It's totally not bad at all! The weirdest part is the raspberry jam in between the three layers, incidentally. I decide to be efficient and try to prevent knife-washing in between cuttings. I do this a lot - I'll just keep the utensil in with the casserole dish, or the knife in the cake box. Oh, here would be a good time to tell you that I decided to use a steak knife to cut the vegan cake. The poor steak knives get so bored in our household. They feel so neglected, and I could hear their cries of loneliness from the cruel wooden storage block prison.

I realize that the steak knife isn't going to fit in a 6" cake box, but only after my pinkie grazes over the serrated edge. Sign #2. It's just God's way of saying "Stay the hell away from the vegan cake."

Regardless, the cake was delicious and the steak knife got some action. Good times.

No comments: