5.11.2004

Lactose Intolerant, Day 1.
Something I had been halfassedly doing for the last six weeks was kicked into high gear last night at the San Diego premiere of Supersize Me. It's Day 1. I have now been vegan for twelve hours straight and plan to keep it that way. At least for a month.

I'll air out my strange dairy tastes in public, lest I mourn them too much alone. First of all, I pretty much only like brie cheese. I've managed to become thoroughly disgruntled with other types of cheese over the last 5 years or so, partly due to cheese's tendency to wear out it's welcome in/on/around my belly, and partly due to the fact that it just doesn't seem right. Cheese is bizarre, and I'm noticing that we don't mix all that well. I wouldn't say I'm lactose intolerant, though. At least not biologically.

And then there's the Blood Orange Ricotta Torte from Extraordinary Desserts. This one is going to be tough.

I've gradually replaced milk with oat or soy milk. Therefore, the latte habit won't be sacrificed. I think I can do this.

I'm not exactly sure why Supersize Me inspired me to be vegan. Maybe I was so disgusted that I felt like I wasn't doing enough. Maybe it was the vegan chef girlfriend. Maybe it was the puke scene. Regardless, I came home and read as much of Diet for a Small Planet as I could before drifting off into a sweet deep sleep and dreaming about being forced to eat those scary flavored wafer candies in a wax-papery tube.

So, let the intolerance begin.

No comments: