Lullabies.
Ever since Oliver was born, we've had the iPod playing where he slept at night. We turn it off when we go to bed, though, because I just couldn't deal with that. We started out just starting from various points in our 2-day's-worth-of-music birth play list, but we have an awful lot of random loud Sigur Ros, etc, on that play list. You'd think we would have taken the time by now to cultivate a similar play list without the random loud stuff, but no.
After a while of quickly running back into the room and skipping stuff, we decided to play Official Lullabies for him. We've had the Innocence Mission's "Now The Day Is Over" since before he was born. The Innocence Mission is one of our favorite bands, so this was a no-brainer. We listened to this album for hours each night for the last 7 months.
I actually wasn't sick of it. However, I realized that Ollie is spending more time listening to Karen Perris singing than his mom, and didn't want him to stop me one day and say, "mama, you're bad. Can we listen to the Innocence Mission instead, pleeeeeease?" which I suppose could feasibly happen regardless of what we play for him at night.
A few weeks ago, we tried "Quiet is the New Loud" by Kings of Convenience, which is another old favorite. I remember vividly that we listened to this CD on our honeymoon. I know, that's a really old post. I think you might even have to scroll down to 11/18/03 because individual post links were crappier back then. And the pictures are buried somewhere, so enjoy the pretty grey boxes. And oh look! Innocence Mission was also on our honeymoon play list! Anyway, Kings of Convenience worked great for a while, but we very quickly tired of it.
Enter: Enya. We have 38 Enya songs on the iPod (where did they come from? WHERE?!), and it seems to be working out. The only downside is the drastic volume changes, so we have to have the colume set just right. We need the music to act as a nice noise cover but not be startle-y or too loud, whether it be really quiet preludes to some songs or the giant boomy songs like Book of Days.
I don't know how much longer I can take with Enya. I mean, come on. However, it's really nice to have 38 songs to cycle through every night. I don't even think we have that much Radiohead or Iron & Wine on there. I'm going to have to investigate to see if we have any actual favorite musicians with that many songs.
And with that, I really need to go to bed so I can turn off this damn music.
No comments:
Post a Comment